Ice Cream, Ice Cream-We all scream for Ice Cream
By: Will Crawford
As my cousin and I sat on the hammock, swinging between two trees we anxiously anticipated the taste of the vanilla ice cream that our parents were churning. Finally we heard the “come and get it” call. We jumped from the hammock and ran to the table. Made the “old fashioned” way it was out of this world. A memory that will live forever.
You might say to yourself isn’t ice cream a summer time thing. Will Crawford answers with a resounding “NO”.
Ice Cream is an ideal focal point for Football, hockey, or basketball parties, family and friends gatherings, Thanksgiving dinner or just a night in front of the television.
We can all make our next event special with “homemade” ice cream. Try one, or more of these great recipes from Irish Will Crawford and wow the crowd.
Luxuriously Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
Amazing with any dessert and a must for all recipe lists enjoy! Serve it on pie (especially Mom’s Pumpkin Pie), cake, cookies, or top with fruit.
• 1L (1 1/3 pints) double cream
• 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
• 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
• 250g (9 oz) sugar divided into two parts
• 10 egg yolks
• In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and milk. Place vanilla bean and scrapings in pot and sprinkle with half of the sugar. Remove from heat when it starts to boil.
• Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks together with remaining sugar in a bowl. When the cream is ready, pour a third of it into the egg mixture and whisk. Pour egg mixture into remaining hot cream and return to the heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon.
• Strain and chill until cold. When cold, pour into canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Black Forest Ice Cream
When I first started cooking this was amazingly popular.
I thought how great it would be if I could recreate a classic
desert into an ice cream while using up left over chocolate
sponge cake and cherries. Sweet, sour and chocolate? Why not ?
• 400 ml (1-3/4 cups) condensed milk
• 800ml (3-1/3 cups) whipping cream
• 3 tbs of dark chocolate chips
• 100g (4 oz.) of chocolate sponge soaked in kirsch
• 3 tbs of red cherry pie filling
Mix all ingredients together then churn in an ice cream machine per manufacturer directions.
Beer Granita With Lime
I thought about this recipe while sipping a cold Mexican beer with lime in while watching my kids, Chloe and Tyler, drink frozen slushies and thought let’s try that with beer. It worked!! So here goes:
• 2 cups of Mexican Beer (corona)
• 2 1/4 cups of water
• 1 1/4 cup of cane sugar
• Zest and juice of 2 limes
• Place all ingredients in a medium pot and bring to simmer on
medium-high heat stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
• Transfer hot liquid into a large metal bowl or baking dish (the wider
the shallower the faster it will chill). Place into a freezer and leave until
ice begins to form. After an hour or so, take a fork and break up the ice
forming on the top and sides of dish. Repeat every hour until totally
• After a few hours you will have an icy slushy delicious dessert. Give
it a final scrape for a more snow like consistency, or leave as is for a
more chunky texture.
• Serve in chilled bowls
Red Hot Ice Cream
This is a fun adult party ice cream something different using ghost chillies. It has the cooling effect of cream and ice cream combined with a red hot chillie flavor. It’s fun and a bit insane at the same time.
• 400ml (1-3/4 cups) of condensed milk
• 800ml (3-1/3 cups) of whipping cream
• 4 tbs of ghost chilli super hot sauce
Mix together and churn as directed by ice cream machine manufacturer then stand back and enjoy the icy fire!
Guinness Ice Cream
This is a classic in Ireland. Who doesn’t enjoy a cold Guinness? With its creamy, smoky and chocolate flavors, Guinness is perfect for a grand ice cream!
• 12 ounces of Guinness stout
• 2 cups of heavy cream
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
• 6 egg yolks
Dark Chocolate Honey Sauce
• 2 cups whipping cream
• 1/4 cup honey
• 20 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
• In a large saucepan, simmer the Guinness until reduced by 3/4
in volume (about 8 minutes).
• Combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan,
scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the
vanilla bean halves. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat then
remove from heat.
• Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
• Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the
egg mixture in a slow, steady stream to the cream.
• Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture
thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F.
on an instant read thermometer, about (5 minutes).
• Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into
a clean container.
• Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep
a skin from forming.
• Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
• Remove from the refrigerator and add the Guinness reduction,
whisking until well blended.
• Pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to
the manufacturers instructions.
• Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
Dark Chocolate Honey Sauce
• In a medium saucepan, scald cream and honey medium heat.
Remove from the heat.
• Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Add the hot cream, let sit
for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
• Whisk in the vanilla. Let stand until cool but still pourable. Serve
over Guinness ice cream.
This is something I came up with for summer time, but I’ve found it popular year round.
It is a funky idea which really messes with your senses and thought process with its sweet and savory taste.
• 1 can of condensed milk 397g
• 800 ml (3-1/3 cups) of whipping cream
• 4 tbs of a sweet BBQ sauce
Combine all ingredients and churn in ice cream maker as manufacturer instructs.
Chop cooked smoky bacon and caramelize in 100g of sugar and 100ml of water until a dark caramel pour to a non-stick tray to cool.
Scoop the ice cream into a bowl or on a plate then sprinkle with the candied bacon.
Sprinkle over the ice cream